Protect Yourself From Identity Theft
Identity Theft can affect all of us, but there are many ways to keep your identity from being "hijacked," and to assist you if you have been a victim of this growing crime.
- Protect your Social Security number (SSN), credit card and debit card numbers, PINs (personal identification numbers), passwords and other personal information.
- Protect your incoming and outgoing mail.
- Keep your financial trash "clean."
- Keep a close watch on your bank account statements and credit card bills.
- Avoid identity theft on the Internet.
- Exercise your new rights under FACTA to review your credit record and report fraudulent activity.
What to do if you have been a victim of Identify Theft:
Set up a folder to keep a detailed history. Include a log of every action you take, copies of all correspondence and/or forms you receive or send, names and contact information of everyone you contact, as well as all information surrounding the contact.
- Keep track of the financial loss to you.
- Report the identity theft to the authorities.
- Contact all creditors. Do this by phone and in writing (save copies of the letters) to be sure they are properly informed.
- Contact the three major credit reporting agencies. Ask for a "Fraud Alert Victim Impact" statement to be placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts. Request that a copy of your credit report be sent to you.
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC is the national clearing house for complaints by victims of identity theft. Visit their website at www.ftc.gov/
- Ask businesses to provide you with information about transactions made in your name. The Washington State Identity Theft Law requires businesses to provide information about transactions made in your name.
Several Bank of the Pacific Checking accounts offer complimentary Provent ID Theft Restoration services. See Checking Solutions
Report Lost or Stolen Card
If you have lost or had your VISA Check Card stolen please call one of the following numbers.
VISA CheckCard 1.888.616.5678 or 1.800.500.1044
Credit Card 1.800.325.3678