Department: Real Estate
Reports to: Underwriting Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Grade: The grade of the position for each branch is determined by branch size and employee skills/experience. Contact the Human Resources Director
Statement of Hire:
At the Bank of the Pacific, we are committed to delivering memorable service beyond the customer’s expectation, to include both external and internal customers. We consistently demonstrate our values through teamwork, open communication, integrity, honesty and respect for others. Additionally, we will maintain a professional appearance through dress, conduct and an orderly work area.
A successful candidate will possess these qualities and be enthusiastic, professional and of high ethics. They will embrace our Mission, Vision and Values and actively contribute to our success.
Responsible for accurate and timely processing of residential mortgage loans in compliance with secondary market guidelines. Duties include reviewing and verifying residential loan documentation to ensure data is complete and meets established guidelines for the loan program. Reviews and analyzes documentation provided by the borrower.
Responsible for reviewing and underwriting first mortgage conventional loans, FHA loans, VA loans, home equity loans, and construction loans according to the Bank's standards and procedures, secondary market guidelines and regulatory requirements. Identifies, analyzes, and evaluates loan risks and compensating factors and ensure the marketability of closed loans. Approves, suspends, or denies loan applications.
- Assumes responsibility for accurately evaluating the credit worthiness of potential borrowers
- Evaluates applicant(s) employment history. Ensures that the probability of continued employment is good and per secondary market guidelines and standards. Assesses overtime, bonuses, and commissions used to qualify. Analyzes tax returns and balance sheet of self-employed applicant(s).
- Evaluates the adequacy of the applicant(s) income and the probability that the customer will be able to meet expected financial obligations. Examines income trends.
- Assesses applicant(s) assets. Ensures that assets meet closing requirements, are derived from acceptable sources, and that acceptable levels of reserves will remain after closing.
- Reviews applicant(s) credit. Reviews the manner in which obligations have been met and financial affairs managed. Investigates derogatory credit. Ensures that all previous mortgage histories are rated and all debts are appropriately listed and rated.
- Completes all underwriting functions in accordance with various investor’s loan program requirements, Bank standards and related legal and regulatory requirements.
- Completes related documentation and reports. Maintains files and ensures their completeness.
- Ensures that all lending conditions have been satisfactorily met prior to closing. Ensures the marketability of closed loans.
- Analyzes loan for alternative options if necessary and communicates to all applicable parties (loan processors and/or loan representatives).
- Responsible for the processing and underwriting of employee loan files in accordance with the Bank’s procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for reviewing appraisals and ensuring that values are well documented
- Evaluates and assesses the collateral and capacity of mortgage loans. Reviews the appraisal to ensure the risks are appropriate and meet guidelines of the applicable loan type and program.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining professional business relationships with customers and mortgage professionals
- Resolves or refers requests and problems promptly and courteously. If applicable, notifies customers of additional information required.
- Maintains and conveys the Bank’s professional reputation.
- Responsible for maintaining effective coordination and communication with Bank personnel and management
- Assists and supports mortgage loan personnel as needed.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Keeps management informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned
- Maintains and updates knowledge of investor loan programs and underwriting guidelines.
- Provides suggestions for improvements in underwriting policies and procedures.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Keeps work area clean, secure and well maintained.
All employees are accountable for compliance with all laws, regulations and adherence to established internal controls and procedures when performing their job duties. Each employee is expected to be familiar with the legal and regulatory requirements and internal controls affecting his or her job responsibilities. It is the affirmative duty of each employee to carry out these responsibilities at all times in a manner that complies with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and internal controls. All employees shall be responsible for communicating upward, problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions. Employees must participate in required training on pertinent compliance laws and regulations as required by the Bank of the Pacific.
All employees will be committed to maintaining a high level of compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti Money Laundering, USA PATRIOT Act and Financial Recordkeeping regulations recognizing that all three acts are important tools in federal efforts to combat organized crime, terrorism and drug trafficking.
Education / Experience:
- Associates degree or an equivalent combination of formal training and experience
- Five years experience in lending related positions
- 3 – 5 years experience in mortgage underwriting
- FHA (DE) and VA (SAR) underwriting experience
- Understanding of the bank policies and procedures
- Service-Plus Certified
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities:
a) Understanding of mortgage loan underwriting functions including conventional, FHA, and VA
b) Knowledge of mortgage related requirements, procedures, and underwriting criteria
c) Demonstrated ability to coach, train, and delegate effectively
d) Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills
e) Excellent customer and employee relations skills
Working Conditions / Environment / Potential Hazards:
- Must be able to work in a fast paced working environment
- May be necessary to work extended hours
- Periodic travel required
- Able to sit or stand for an extended period of time
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
To apply for this position please submit your resume' and cover letter to HumanResources@BankofthePacific.com. Please reference the position title and location in your subject line.